Monday, December 18, 2006

This One's For You

I am a doer... a fixer. I encourage people when they are down... or just when I think they need it. I pick up the slack where it is needed. I try to find something I can do to make someones life a bit easier... a bit happier. When I am doing that, I am happy. I truly believe that it is not for my own glory... but rather for His... to show His love. I don't have to think about it... I just do it. It is not a sacrifice... it is just... me.

One of my dear sisters is going through a rough time. Stress is taking its toll on her both mentally and physically. I cannot take the stress away... I wish more than anything that I could. Sometimes I feel like all I can do is pray - and perhaps that is where I can be most effective. I pray that God would give me the words of encouragement she needs to hear. I pray that He will show me the little things I can do to make life a bit easier on her. I pray that He will provide for her, the way He always has, and that she would trust in that. I know that He has placed us each in each others lives for a reason. I know that there was much prayer behind this divine appointment of friendship. So I have to trust that He will use me in her life in whatever way He sees fit.

About a month ago I was going through a rough time myself. This same friend took me under her wing and took care of me. One evening we went shopping for Christmas decorations. She quickly learned 2 things that usually cheer me up... Christmas stuff and shopping. While in the Christmas Decor section of Canadian Tire, she pushed the "on" button of every single one of those dancing / singing / moving / really annoying stuffed Christmas things. The whole wall danced and sang. All I could do was stand there laughing. Who does that? Well, my dear friend, her sister (also a dear friend), and me.

After leaving said friends house this evening, I hit the drugstore. I came upon a display of dancing / singing / moving / really annoying stuffed Christmas things. I looked around to make sure no one was watching. I thought... this would make her smile... and I pressed the button on all of them. There were elves peeking out from santa hats, singing Christmas trees, and dancing snowmen. I laughed. I know she would have too!

2 comments:

Abner's Girl said...

you make my heart smile...even if it doesn't always reach my face.
I LOVE YOU MORE

.: Christa :. said...

I am glad... you make my heart smile too. You did, after all, make it to my favourite things list! Love you my dear friend.