Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Christmas Cheer Was Spread - My Heart Was Blessed!

Tonight was the Met Youth annual "basket delivering night". It is a night that I remember looking forward to when I was in highschool, and that same excitement was obvious amongst the kids in the group. We arrived at our first house to see a man sitting by the window.... Mr P. It was clear that he was awaiting our arrival. We piled into his living room, and he began to tell us all about his life and the ministries he was involved in. It was fascinating. He arose from his chair with some difficulty, and puttered off to a nearby room. A few minutes later he returned with a large case. Inside the case was Denny. Mr P had been a ventriloquist back in the 60's. The kids took turns trying him out, and then Mr P showed us how it was really done. All of our eyes were wide with amazement... I am not sure any of us has seen a real, live ventriloquist.

One of our girls (who is studying opera) started off our carol sing with a beautiful rendition of O Holy Night. We then asked Mr P what he favourite carol was so we could sing it. His response? "All of them!" He, again, stood up from his chair, wobbled a bit, then said..."Let me go get my harmonica." He returned, harmonica and extra Christmas Songbooks in hand, and treated us to a few of his favourite carols, one being Silent Night. Again, we were all amazed. It was so great to see these kids in awe of this wonderful, godly man. And it was clear that our visit made his day. I think it made all of our days!

In my 5 years of basket delivery as a highschool student, as well as my first as a Youth Sponsor, one image sticks in my head. It is an image of something that I think I have seen in the home of nearly every single one of these godly men and women. I see an old chair - a comfy chair... covered in a blanket or two... sometimes with a pillow. A chair where many hours are spent. Beside the chair is a table with a lamp - the light directed at the chair. And on that table is an old, well used, much loved leather bound Bible. It is a beautiful sight. I can only imagine the hours that have passed as these godly figures, men and women who have been the backbone of our church, spend time in His Word... reading it... meditating on it... searching for answers... finding comfort... getting to know God's heart.

I hope and pray that one day, many, many years from now, a keen group of highschool students appear on my doorstep. They come bearing gift baskets and singing songs of the Christmas season. They will listen to me talk about my days as a youth sponsor. I pray that they will see that same beautiful sight... an old, well worn Bible, and have their hearts lifted as mine has been. I have been blessed.

6 comments:

Abner's Girl said...

I am sobbing now! Thanks alot! You probably didn't know this, but when I was a young girl, I had a "friend" named Tommy. And Tommy & I accompanied Mr. P & Denny to many street corners in Ottawa, as Mr. P spread the love of Jesus to anyone who would listen and quite a few who pretened not to be listening. As you probably noticed, the Light just beams from this dear man, even after just losing the love of his life this past fall, he sat at the funeral with a peaceful, even rejoicing smile on his face, as I sang "The Old Rugged Cross" and joined me on the chouruses with his booming bass voice. You have no idea how blessed you were to get to go to that dear mans house. As my dear Dad always says, we will be blessed just to be able to sit on his doorstep when we get to heaven!
Still Amazed by His GRACE!
-cb

4ever29 said...

Let's be honest now Christa. Your bible wouldn't be worn. It would be beautiful and pristine. It would be kept in a cover that would match the decor of your living room and at Christmas it would have a coordianting bow on it either in siver or blue :)

.: Christa :. said...

R-You arae probeably right. Infact, I was recently told that my Bible does not look very used. Part of that IS because it is in a nice case - no silver or blue bow on it. The other reason is that I have many - each has its own place and purpose. What can I say... OCD??? Wish E a Happy Birthday for me!

.: Christa :. said...

CB - I think I have some inkling of how blessed we all were. 24 hours later, my heart is still smiling. I hope and pray that I will never forget that experience... that the image of his harmonica at his mouth, eyes closed, swaying to the music of the Christmas Season. What a glorious site! You are perhaps one of the few who will read this who can truly appreciate what a blessing it was. Thank you for sharing your memories with me... I cried. I am convinced that last night was a taste of heaven. A taste of heaven indeed.

Michelle said...

I came to your blog as 4ever29 suggested that you wouldn't mind if I popped over to visit. This post was really touching and it brought tears to my eyes as well and I don't even know Mr. P.

.: Christa :. said...

Michelle - don't mind one bit! A friend thinks I should publish this post (perhaps in our Church Paper)... I think she is nuts. But I know that if I don't she will! *S*