Thursday, March 08, 2007

Silent Screams

She wouldn't look at anyone. Or perhaps, she couldn't. It was too familiar to me. Was she ashamed? Of something she had done? Of something that was done to her? Did she wear her shame on her being for all to see? Was she afraid? That if someone looked her in the eyes they would peer in to the deepest part of her soul. They would stare in to a place she had to protect... hide. Was she alone? Did she just wish someone would come along side her... hug her... hold her... comfort her... love her.

Her sleeves pushed up, you could not help but see the scars. Some old. Some new and fresh. All much deeper than most people would ever know. Was her own pain the only thing she could control? Did she figure she would hurt herself because, face it, everyone else has hurt her? Was the physical pain the only way she had to forget the emotional pain she was feeling?

The souls of two people whose paths crossed mine. Something inside of me wept for them. Does anyone hear their cries? Help me! Love me! Their screams are silent, yet so loud. They could be you. They could be me. Perhaps they are.

2 comments:

Abner's Girl said...

You are a PROMISE. You are a POSSIBILITY. You are a PROMISE. With a capital "P". You are a great big bundle of POTENTIALITY! And if you listen, you can hear God's voice and if you're TRYING, He'll help you make the RIGHT CHOICE. You are a PROMISE to be EVERYTHING GOD MADE YOU TO BE!
~cb

.: Christa :. said...

You make me smile. It made me sad to see these 2 different people these past few days...both sales clerks in stores. I could hear their screams. I wonder if anyone else could. Maybe because at one time or another, I too was screaming. I am thankful that I HAVE made the right choice... that I AM listening for His voice. I am thankful to be where I am, especially when I can see the hurting souls so clearly around me.