Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Love Hate Relationships

I love mugs. I love getting new mugs... special mugs. I have a few Eeyore mugs, a Princess mug, a mug that looks like a pair of jeans that my mom made me with my name on it, and most recently, 2 really cute Starbucks mugs. In fact, in the past month, I think I have spent $60.00 in new mugs.... three for me and one for a friend. I like big mugs. Strong mugs. Heavy mugs. They have to feel right in your hand. (I might be a mug snob.) They make nice gifts. I love when someone finds the perfect mug for me, and I love doing the same for friends who appreciate such fine gifts.

I hate mugs. I have way too many. I have my special mugs (7 in total). My roomie has her special mugs (3 I think). There are mugs that go with each of my 2 dish sets. I don't really like these mugs, but I cannot get rid of them because they go with the dishes. (3 sets of 4) Then there are the mug sets I (we) have bought or have been given. (4 sets of 4, plus 2 sets of 2) I have mugs from my gym... I take them to Youth group so my small group can have tea. (4) And then there are my 2 travel mugs.

Where in the world do you put 48 mugs? And why do 2 people even need to have 48 mugs? If you have seen my kitchen, you know my dilemma. Mugs are not like Tupperware. I can shove all the Tupperware in the cupboard and slam the door shut quickly as I hear the containers tumble over. But it is all good - well, until someone opens the door, which I tend to avoid at all costs!If you did that with mugs, you would have glass everywhere. Much like today.....

Today I got annoyed with my mug cupboard. As I was trying to strategically arrange the mugs (which you know had to be a feat considering my slight OCD), one fell. It was one of my room mates special mugs. It landed on a glass bowl. Shattered the bowl, but the mug was ok. Phew. Then a second one fell... also my room mates. This was not going to be good. This time it landed on an egg. Yes, an egg. I was baking and had eggs on the counter. Again, the mug was fine.

Mugs. One of my love hate relationships.

No comments: