Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Water Bottles

Tonight was awesome! My latest venture is to become a High School Sponsor. (For now, during the "probation period", I am a wannabe sponsor.) Seems kinda crazy because I feel like I am the same age as these kids. Only sadly, I am nearing the big 3 - 0! Tonight was my first night. We met at the site of our new church at the corner of Prince of Wales and Hunt Club. It is a wooded area with a small clearing. Lotsa mosquitoes. I am envisioning NOT having fun, and getting poison ivy. I am not very outdoorsy!

The "surprise" plan for the night was to deliver free water (in bottles) to people in the neighbourhood of our new church. ( I am thankful because when they did this last summer, they played Capture the Flag. I am itchy just thinking about how eaten alive I would be.) As we handed them out, we had the chance to talk to people about the church, and ultimately about God. So we went off in groups of 10, collected bags, boxes and handfuls of water bottles, are loaded on to buses, and taken to residential areas.

It was amazing to see these Jr High and High School kids so excited for people to listen to their message and accept a free water bottle. The (many) times they were rejected were great teaching tools... how many times will we share our faith and be rejected. These kids were so great. I am so proud of them! It did my heart good. This is what I want to do. This is where I feel God wants me to be.

So my quote for the day is from the water bottles we passed out. (Well, ok. So really it is from the Bible, only paraphrased!)

"Every person who drinks this water will be thirsty again.
But whoever drinks the water Jesus gives will be satisfied."
John 4:13-14
What made me laugh was that when I got back to my car, one of the kids had ministered to me by putting a water bottle on it!

No comments: