Sunday, August 20, 2006

Opa!

Todays quotes have double significance. I spent the afternoon at a family and friends shower for my sisters upcoming wedding. Yup... the Greeks were there. It was a glimpse into what the wedding day will be like. My sister is "taking one for the team" as she says. I am now even more convinced that I will have a nice, small, quiet wedding on a beach somewhere.

This evening was the Closing Ceremony for the Ottawa Greek Festival. Some friends and I braved the rain for just a little more souvlaki, baklava, music and of course dancing. Thanks to my Thia Vana's dancing lessons when I was in Greece, I am getting better. The whole night made me home sick. I would give almost anything to live in Greece... despite my crazy family... I miss them. I truly felt as though I left a part of my heart and soul there. I know that sounds cheesy, but it is true.

So in honour of my Greek heritage and the upcoming wedding, here are some quotes from one of my all time favourite movies... My Big Fat Greek Wedding.


Ian, if you're gonna be in this family, I get you some earplugs because the Portokalos women, if they're not nagging someone... THEY DIE! (Yianni)
(same goes with the Papadoupoulos / Patton / Ramsay women!)
My family is big and loud but they're my family.
We fight and we laugh and yes, we roast lamb on a spit in the front yard.
And where ever I go, what ever I do they will always be there. (Toula)
(Yes, we used to roast lamb on a spit my aunts back yard)
Nikko! Don't play with food! When I was your age, I didn't have food! (Maria)
What do you mean he don't eat no meat? Oh, that's okay. I make lamb. (Voula)

You family now, so I tell you a story. All my life ... I have this lump on the back of my neck. When I reach the menopause, the lump get bigger. I go to the doctor, and he performs a ... bo-bo-bobopsy. And inside the lump, he finds teeth, and a spinal column. The lump ... it was my twin....opa! (Voula)

When I was growing up, I knew I was different.
The other girls were blonde and delicate,
and I was a swarthy six-year-old with sideburns. (Toula)
Forget being six and feeling that way! Try being almost 30 and feeling that way!

The man is the head of the house,
but the woman is the neck; she can turn the head any way she wants. (Maria)

1 comment:

4ever29 said...

That tumor line in the movie was the funniest thing I have ever heard in a film. I died when I heard it. D and I have a little inside joke and when either of us have a bump or something we say it's a tumor and then we say "maybe it's our twin!" I love that movie.