Friday, August 08, 2008

A Beautiful Hypocrisy

As I sit here and watch the Opening Ceremonies of the 29th Olympiad, I am moved to tears. How can it be that in a world of war and depravity, we as humankind can come together... 204 nations... forgetting all that is between us.

And while I think that is all wonderful, I cannot help but find the whole thing a bit hypocritical. There are countries here that are at war with each other, and here they all stand in a form of unity created by the game. Here, they all stand together taking part in a dance. A dance with dove like movement... dancers, athletes, guests, and audience. A dove... a symbol of peace. So why is it that it that we can come together for the sake of the game... for the sake of competition... with an unspoken truce. Yet for the sake of humanity? For the sake of lives? We are still a world at war.

Just minutes before watching these opening ceremonies, I read an email from a dear friend living in, and now leaving, the Republic of Georgia. She lives in a city just 40 km from where a Russian peacekeeper was killed by a bomb... where there is fear and death. And yet, these warring countries are standing side by side.

I am not sure if I find this unity and temporary peace beautiful or sickening.

No comments: